Pages

Monday, May 12, 2014

Prank Call or a Call for Help?

I received a telephone call this morning from a gentleman who apparently had nothing else to do but call strangers. After we exchanged hellos, he started to talk to me, initiating a conversation. He spoke as if we were friends. For a minute, I thought we were friends, and I just didn’t recognize his voice.

When I asked who he was, he expressed surprise and said he must have called the wrong person. Then he continued his conversation. It was clear to me that he was one of those weird guys who call strangers, and pick up idle conversation. I admit that I was a little intrigued.

After listening to his one-sided chitchat for a short time, I told him that I was going to get off the telephone so that he could call the person that he originally intended to call. He said, ”Well, to be honest with you, I like talking to you and hearing your voice rather than her”. That ended my superficial interest. I thanked him and hung up.

This type of prank call is something that has been going on since my college years. It's probably gone on even further than that in the telephone world. Strangers call your phone and begin a conversation, initially making you think you know him. Invariably, talk starts to veer into a sexual discussion. They try to keep you on the phone as long as possible, desperate to talk to anyone.

I sometimes wonder if these really are prank callers. It’s always a man. These guys are looking to connect with the outside world. I sometimes feel sorry for the person on the other end. The desire to have human contact so much that one just dials the telephone to speak to anyone who answers is a little compelling.

Of course, it’s probably just a man who pleasures himself as he talks. Either way, it’s best to hang up as soon as you discover you don’t know the person. Prank call or not, he’s someone taking up your valuable time.

No comments: